In some cases, an Ohio drug court may be offered as an alternative to serving time in prison for a drug crime. These courts are offered to the alleged offender as a rehab option designed to help treat their dependency on controlled substances. By participating in and completing a drug court program, you may be eligible for a full dismissal of or reduction in charges.
In order to qualify, you must meet the following requirements:
1. The alleged offender has sufficient motivation for treatment or to change;
2. The alleged offender is diagnosed with having a chemical dependency;
3. The alleged offender meets Ohio’s sentencing guidelines for a presumption for probation; and
4. The crime must be a felony offense of the 4th or 5th degree.
The following elements will disqualify you from presenting a case to the Ohio drug courts:
1. The alleged charges are sexually oriented or violent;
2. The alleged offense is gun-related;
3. The alleged offender has multiple prior felonies;
4. The alleged offender has prior convictions for drug trafficking; and
5. The alleged offender has prior convictions for violent crimes
The Wieczorek Law Firm defends clients throughout the greater Cincinnati area against drug crimes. Contact us 24/7 for a free review of your case. Time is not on your side and you need an attorney you can trust to utilizing every defense possible to receive the best outcome.